fall_banner



spacer

it was this BIG

Hi everybody, and welcome to my
eclectic web blog.

side_01
Join my flickr group
Dramatic Skies and Sunsets.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Houseboat trip. Make your own badge here.
diveder_g

t_insp

04_20_b

Lee's Pets
Illustration Friday
LJCFYI
Go fug yourself

Crafty Links
anh-minh.com
Not Martha

Arty Stuff
A Creative Journey
Crack Skull Bob
Quotidian Curiosities


diveder_g

t_m

KCRW most of the time and Good Morning by Kanye West. Yup, I'm hip.

diveder_g

t_gp

diveder_g

t_mrj


diveder_g



 

 

diveder_g

t_wr

diveder_g

Powered by Blogger

spacer

Real Serious Sailing

Monday, July 18, 2005

18_7_a
Leaving the marina on Lake Ontario.
18_7_b
Andrew steering the boat.

I forgot to mention Andrew and I went sailing on our recent trip to Canada. Andrew’s second big brother and girlfriend are serious competitive sailors and they own a 35 ft race boat for weekly club races and weekend regattas. The day of our scheduled visit was the same day of their club race and being the gracious hosts they invited us along for the ride.

As I kid I used to poke around with my dad in his two-man boat at our family cottage. I remember this being an uncomplicated affair and the two of us managed to navigate the little boat around the bay with no trouble. I didn’t assume I knew much about sailing because of my idyllic childhood memory, but I was still floored at my complete lack of knowledge of the nautical world. Even the gear that we hauled to the marina was a mystery to me. Oh no, not true, I did understand the beer part. Although, I didn’t comprehend why we had so much beer, until eight thirsty crewmembers showed up. My job was to pass the beer out when the race was over and avoid being clonked by the boom. Oh yes, I was the all important flunky. Andrew was ordered to pull a bunch of ropes and after we won the race he was given a chance to steer the boat. All in all, it was really good fun and the most invigorating thing I did my entire holiday.

 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who s the werido in the hat

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whos the werido in the hat haha

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whos the werido in the hat

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sunday Afternoons said...

Is that you Courtney! You bad girl.

d

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter