fall_banner



spacer

it was this BIG

Hi everybody, and welcome to my
eclectic web blog.

side_01
Join my flickr group
Dramatic Skies and Sunsets.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Houseboat trip. Make your own badge here.
diveder_g

t_insp

04_20_b

Lee's Pets
Illustration Friday
LJCFYI
Go fug yourself

Crafty Links
anh-minh.com
Not Martha

Arty Stuff
A Creative Journey
Crack Skull Bob
Quotidian Curiosities


diveder_g

t_m

KCRW most of the time and Good Morning by Kanye West. Yup, I'm hip.

diveder_g

t_gp

diveder_g

t_mrj


diveder_g



 

 

diveder_g

t_wr

diveder_g

Powered by Blogger

spacer

Weird Wednesday: Or Just Plain Crazy?

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

19_7_a

The price of homes in LA County is one of my favorite topics to rant and rave about until I'm blue in the face. Since 2002, when we innocently peeked into a neighbor's open house, we've been in a perennial state of sticker shock. I just could not see how people could afford these tiny homes at such extraordinary prices. A two-bedroom, one-bathroom home was selling for $425,000. Until I moved here, I thought two bathrooms and three bedrooms was a building code standard. I exaggerate, but only a little. After questioning every real estate agent I have a passing acquaintance with (I know three), reading the Sunday Time's Homes section and listing to NPR, I have finally figured it out: they're called interest only mortgages. You pay a lower monthly mortgage by putting off paying the principle in hopes the equity on the home increases enough to borrow more money from. According to my sources there is a 40%- 50% increase in the use of this type on loan. Risky I know but wait...

In this parallel universe known as the Los Angeles County housing market, a charming 1,354 square feet, one-bathroom, two-bedroom and three-car-garage bungalow can be yours for $729,000. According to the realtor specs the interior has been repaired and the home is in move-in condition. Can it be true? A housing market so hot that "move-in condition" is a selling feature. Another sad but true fact about this house: it's three doors away from the house we saw in 2002. Oh crap, I don't want to do the math.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter