fall_banner



spacer

it was this BIG

Hi everybody, and welcome to my
eclectic web blog.

side_01
Join my flickr group
Dramatic Skies and Sunsets.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Houseboat trip. Make your own badge here.
diveder_g

t_insp

04_20_b

Lee's Pets
Illustration Friday
LJCFYI
Go fug yourself

Crafty Links
anh-minh.com
Not Martha

Arty Stuff
A Creative Journey
Crack Skull Bob
Quotidian Curiosities


diveder_g

t_m

KCRW most of the time and Good Morning by Kanye West. Yup, I'm hip.

diveder_g

t_gp

diveder_g

t_mrj


diveder_g



 

 

diveder_g

t_wr

diveder_g

Powered by Blogger

spacer

Weird Wednesday: Turn Out The Lights Please

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

05_10_a
The other night I had one of those evenings were I just couldn't get to sleep. So I gave into my insomnia and read into the wee hours of the night (3:00 am). Although, I felt like dog's breakfast the next morning I didn't regret spending quality time with my new nature book, Suburban Safari: A Year On The Lawn. It's the kind of book that gets you curious about all sorts of things. That's probably why sleep was so elusive, the old gears were cranking away.

One of the curious things I came across was how city lights are dangerous to migrating birds. Every autumn millions of birds are thrown off course by glittering city lights. Normally they use the moon and stars as their visual cues to get to their destination, but the bright city lights are often an irresistible allure. Millions of birds are killed every year by smashing into high-rises. Well I have to say, "I did not know that!" Coincidently, the next day I heard a report (on NPR ) that New York City building owners have agreed to turn out the lights after midnight to save the birds.

It just always amazes me how one minute you can be a big dopey know-nothing and then the next minute you are so aware of some fact that it seems to be popping up all over every damn place. Well that was my weird Wednesday. What was yours like?

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter